CTBK is one of the leading CPA firms in Western New York in providing audit and tax services to non-profit organizations. Our Non-Profit Services team is a dedicated group of specialized professionals trained and experienced in the complex needs of non-profit organizations. Our client base consists of organizations ranging from those with simple operations to those with the complex reporting requirements of various State and Federally funded programs. These clients include health and human service agencies, charitable foundations, community-based organizations and arts and cultural centers. We work closely with our non-profit clients and offer hands-on service by our most experienced professionals, who as members of various non-profit board of directors, understand the challenges that face non-profit organizations in today’s charitable giving climate.
Financial statements and tax returns are no longer just a matter of compliance. They are important to your current and prospective supporters and the community you serve. We will work with you to optimize the message to convey the intent of sustaining and growing your organization.
Value Added Services
We believe that the relationship you have with your CPA should go beyond simply delivering a report. Our job is not done just because financial statements have been issued. We strive to be a valuable “go to” member of your team and trusted advisor.
It is our responsibility to keep you information of accounting issues relevant to your organization. We will provide forums in which we can discuss and resolve any matters that deserve special attention. We find this approach to be both effective and efficient in identifying issues and providing solutions.
Commitment to the Non-Profit Sector
We are invested not only as professionals but as active members of the community. Our involvement provides us with a first-hand look at the challenges affecting our clients.
CTBK annually attends the AICPA’s National Non-Profit Conference in Washington, D.C. Our internal quality control process requires that all our professionals receive relevant continuing education to be up-to-date with the latest developments in the non-profit industry. In addition, we are a member firm of the AICPA’s Government Audit Quality Center which is a technical resource for CPA firms who provide services to governmental and non-profit audit clients, alike.
Our investment as active members of the community is drawn from the leadership of our firm. All members of our leadership group have served on boards of local non-profit organization. Also, CTBK supports various charitable organizations sponsoring annual fundraising events. Our Helping Hands Committee was developed as a way for the firm to provide opportunities and encourage our staff to volunteer their time and energy to help local charities. We believe that this involvement is essential to bettering our community as well as providing us with the perspective necessary to be the best possible service provider to our non-profit clients.
CTBK's tax compliance and advisory practice is skilled in providing a diverse spectrum of services addressing the complete life cycle of a tax-exempt organization including:
- Federal (Form 990) & State Charities Bureau/Attorney General reporting
- Identification of unrelated activities and minimizing unrelated business income tax exposure
- Computation of public support tests and monitor compliance with public charity status
- Guidance regarding required disclosures for officers, directors, trustees, key employees & substantial contributors
- Determination of functional expense allocations to present organization favorably by leveraging knowledge from overall client base and industry specific metrics
- Federal (Form 990PF) & State Charities Bureau/Attorney General reporting
- Computation of minimum required distributions and planning related to excess distribution carry-forwards
- Addressing exposure and compliance for any unrelated business activities
- Minimizing excise tax exposure
- Assistance with review of grant applicants to ensure qualified charities are managing expenditure responsibility requirements
- Determination of proper expense allocations for both operating and non-operating foundations
- Structuring investment asset allocation including:
- Capital gain and loss planning
- Impact of alternative investments
- Preparation of Federal Forms 1023/1024 and the related state applications including coordination with legal counsel on drafting organizational documents and with the Internal Revenue Service and state authorities
- Assistance with reinstatement if exempt status revoked
- Create or review governance policies to promote active engagement of Boards
- Co-development of accounting policies and internal controls
- Articulate investment policies to align with goals and objectives of the organization
- Review and refine grant application and approval processes
- Assist with donor relations to achieve philanthropic goals
- Sharing best practices with respect to Board governance and other policies as well as current developments
For more information on how we can assist your tax-exempt organization, please contact Bob Travis or Gene Kershner at 716-630-2400.